Monday, February 15, 2010

Burr's Red Chile Cornbread

It's still cold here and when I ran across this cornbread recipe here at the Cuisine Magazine Cooking forums I just had to jump right up and make it as well as some beer simmered country cut pork ribs just smothered in Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. Yeah, I know an off the shelf bottle of BBQ sauce ~ eye roll ~ but no matter how hard I try I can't create a sauce that comes close to Sweet Baby Ray's.


Burr's Red Chile Cornbread

3/4 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup a.p. flour
1 T. Chile powder (I added 1/2 tsp Penzy's cayenne pepper, & 1/2 tsp. Penzy's toasted onion)
1 1/2 tsp. baking power
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg -- slightly beaten
3/4 cup milk (I used buttermilk)
2 T. melted butter -- cooled slightly
1 can corn or Mexicorn -- (7 oz.) (I used fresh de-cobbed grilled corn)
4 squirts hot pepper sauce -- optional
(I also added
1/2 C cheddar sharp, shreaded
2T drained canned green chilis)

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Place cornbread skillet in oven and heat while preparing batter.

In a medium-large bowl, toss together cornmeal, flour, Chile powder, baking powder, sugar and salt.

Add egg, milk, butter, corn & optional hot pepper sauce.

Stir until just mixed. Remove cornbread skillet from oven and coat with nonstick spray or oil.

Ladle batter into mold.

Bake 10 minutes or until bread is golden brown, tips begin to crack and cake tester comes clean when inserted in center. Remove pan from oven. Carefully lift and place on a cooling rack.

Serve immediately or at room temp.

This is the picture before the flip. It's amazing how pretty and toasted the underside looks from having heated the pan before adding the batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment