Saturday, February 13, 2010

"Mom's Best Made Easy" ~ Honey Lime Schnitzel


The cookbook I ordered,"Mom's Best Made Easy," finally arrived yesterday and I spent the day sipping hot Earl Grey and reading it from cover to cover and putting in book marks for the recipes I want to try first.

It was so hard to resist the urge to jump up and start cooking but we have been snowed in here on the shore of Lake Erie a few days and every recipe that has my mouth watering we are missing at least one ingredient for. Isn't that always how it is?

Today's plan of attack was to shovel out the end of the driveway where the city plows left a very heavy pile of snow about 2 feet high. Get the car started and warmed up and then head off to the grocery stores and post office.

I can't just shop at one grocery store anymore. I don't know why but guess that I have out grown them. I get the bulk of my food at Value King since I've been pinching pennies in this horrible economy. Not because I have to, we have been blessed as my hubster has been able to hold on to his job, but because we are saving for the first time in our lives and with the way things are going in my area there are no guarantees it will get better any time soon.

The stuff I can't buy at Value King, I get at Giant Eagle, I get spices at Penzy's, veggies at the open air market and pasta and all things Italian at Aleicis.I occassionally shop at Heinen's when I need something I can't find anywhere else around like Durkee's Turkey spread.

The First Recipe I'm going to try is the "Honey Lemon Schnitzel" from page 51, with my own adaptations of course!

Honey Lime Schnitzel
serves 4

2 T all purpose flour
1 t salt
1 t Penzy's white pepper
1 t Penzy's pork chop seasoning blend
4 pork chops hammered thin
2 T olive oil
1/4 C lime juice
1/4 C local honey

Combine flour, salt, chop seasoning, & white pepper in a resealable plastic bag. Add in pork medalions one at a time and shake to coat.

Heat olive oil in a skillet and cook pork until done 3-4 minutes per side or until juices run clear.

In a small sauce pan cook lime and local honey until reduced by half and syrupy thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment